Sunday, September 26, 2010

long overdue

When my wife and I went to Florida for a family vacation, naturally I packaged some camera equipment to go with me. However, I didn't do much photography while I was there. See, where I live pretty much all year round, with the exception of Winter you can go in and out without prepping your camera equipment. However, in Florida, when you're in an air conditioned condo with like no humidity, then you walk outside to the Florida air, with humidity and higher temperature you get condensation...bad condensation.

There were times it took a full 20 minutes before I could shoot. So I just chose to not take that many pictures. There are work arounds to it, but I was more on vacation than I was on a photo-vacation.

I wanted to photograph a sunset, and a sunrise. Figures...clouds every day at those times. Skies could be as clear as could be, but sunrise, sunset time...clouds every where. However I did make a few photographs of what I could. Now there's several ways to photograph sunsets and sunrises without burning your retinas out of your head. I am too lazy to do them. My main areas of photography are people and I don't photograph landscapes much.

One involves neutral density filters and blah blah blah. I don't care enough to do it, so I probably shouldn't even type it. Or you can do it like I did...the ol' college try. Only have the sun in the frame while you shoot the shot and just "guess" the metering. Like you can meter the sky beside and figure out where you need to be from there.

That's the approach I took and I got some interesting photographs of it. The other thing I like doing is making round objects look like stars. I did this to the Sun for fun!

I also shot a photograph of my wife and I at the beach (yep...I shot it and was in it). I broke the rules for this, as it wasn't mean to be an award winning portrait photograph. It was meant to be a documentation of my wife and I at the beach. I shot with the sun to our faces (a no-no in portraiture). I did it because, well the beach was behind us and the sun was in front of us. During the day on the beach in Florida it is difficult to find a place that the Sun isn't beating right at you, either high above or in front of you. Now if the Sun was behind us, we would have been in shadow and the sky exposed properly, or we properly and the sky blown out. I wasn't using fill flash, so I just made the best of it.

I photographed a sea turtle too. You know how people say turtles are slow? This thing bolted when it had enough of my crap, and it moved faster that I probably could. I bet if it wanted to beat me up, it could have.

Also, Florida has tons of these little lizards. I mean they are freaking everywhere. You know how in PA, we have ant's and flies? They have lizards.

Alright, so I'm out in the yard the other night (this is after we're home from Florida), and the sky looks wicked. There's this circle around the moon and I'm thinking that I should go get a camera, right? So I get a full-frame camera (photographers will know what I mean) and a 16-35mm lens. I figure, I'll get this thing figured out. I also think I'm photographing some rare phenomenon that never occurs and that I'll be onto something big...

Guess what, a lunar halo is a common celestial occurance, and nothing to get worked up over. However, I still photographed it...yeah, I'm that big of a rebel.

I've rambled entirely too much, so I'll post some pictures, and we'll go from there. There's a mindset in the professional photography business that you shouldn't let anything than your best out there. However, I feel that just some snapshots on vacation, or the back yard aren't a big deal. Besides, it's something to look at for awhile, while your I-pod is loading :)

Oh, and I took a photograph of my cat with an ultra wide angle lens, at minimum focusing distance to emphasize the distortion this lens can bring on when used on a subject close up (this is normal and inherent of the focal length, and not a problem with the equipment). So my cat looks like the Taco Bell dog. So Yo Quero Gato! (spelling is off, but what can you do).










No comments:

Post a Comment