Monday, April 2, 2012

For Complete Devastation MMA's fourth event, they brought in a special guest, former UFC lightweight champion, Sean, "the muscle shark" Sherk. They also conducted a seminar with him the day after the event. I want to touch on one thing first. If you didn't attend the event, shame on you. 3 hours of instruction, getting to meet him, and get some items signed...$40...that's a steal. It amazes me that sometimes these seminars attract people out of the wazoo, then other times, they don't attract near the people they should. Okay, the seminar was fantatic. I photographed it, but I picked up a lot of cool tricks. Sean is super laid back, and extremely nice. I was star struck, as he's been one of my favorite fighters for a long time. Watching him fight BJ Penn sucked for me, because BJ is another fighter whom I've liked for just about ever as well. (mainly because he's like this oompa loompa guy who will rip your head off and it gives me hope that I could've done something with myself). Here's some candid's and some "posed" photos from the day. I had a really good time, and it was awesome meeting him. Lighting for these types of events is always a challenge. You can use ambient light, but with those cycling fluorescent tube lights are a bitch. That's the honest truth. They are at "about" 60Hz (balast/length of service blah blah blah). So your shutter speeds are letting in some, but not all blah blah blah. What it comes down to is, blue/green/white in your photos, and there's really no way to correct it in a time efficient fashion (you could take the file, do several layers, and white balance each section of it individually but no...I am not doing that.). You can make it black and white...but I'm of the mind that photos shouldn't just be "black and white". I'm not going to get into my b/w philosophy (because undoubtedly some clown will read it, and quote it out of context trying to sound like they know more than they do). So another option is to introduce strobe to the session, and mix it with ambient. You can gel it...but...people are now buying "cool white" and "day light" and "butt light" bulbs and mixing them... If you put some window green on your flash, when the tubes are daylight...well...it's going to be educational. So I let enough in so you know what's going on, but use my strobes as the main lights. okay, enough tech talk. I'm not an educator, but I am a gear/tech head. I could talk shop all day, but more than likely you just want to see the pictures.








No comments:

Post a Comment