Sunday, December 18, 2011

More low light

Being in control of the light is something that a photographer will be happy about.  However, it is seldom the case.

Such is evidenced when I went to see my friend's band perform at a local bar.  Recovering from a "please let me die" sinus infection, I ventured out for an hour to see his band.  They have a very unique style...they are a karaoke band.  Yep, you read that right.  They play the music, you sing the songs.  It's quite entertaining, and the fans love the interaction.

ISO 6400, f/2.8 1/10-1/30 depending on where the band member was...on top of that, I'm carrying a telephoto lens.  In theory, one of the worst ideas.    The first photo is just as is, no additional light.



Being that I'm not afraid of low light assignments, and as long as there is enough light for my cameras to aquire focus, I'll shoot in it.  So here, I was able to lower my ISO 2 full stops, and blend ambient lighting with my light.  What's cool about it is, I'm able to freeze the "majority" of the photo, but give the impression of motion.


Or I can work off of just my expsoure, and get a photo that appears at much lower ISO than it was actually shot at.

I'm not going to get into the technical, "how" or "why" I did what I did.  No need to educate everyone on my thought processes.

Just a few photos for you guys to enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment